Founded in 1998, TASICT is Tasmania’s peak industry body for the Information Communication Technology sector.
What TASICT has achieved for our industry
TASICT continues to focus on its vision for a large, dynamic and innovative Tasmanian ICT industry, recognised for its significant contribution to the economic and social wealth of all Tasmanians.
Objective 1: Representing the Industry to Government:
- Participation in the Premier’s Telecommunications Roundtable to develop the vision for Tasmania’s broadband-enabled future.
- Membership of the Infrastructure Leader’s Group to contribute to the the development of a 10-year State Infrastructure Strategy.
- Representation to the Public Sector Management Office regarding the negative impact of changes to the government IT traineeship scheme.
- Meetings individually with State and Federal political leaders.
- Discussions with Economic Development, Treasury, DPAC, DIER on various industry issues.
- Initiating and establishing a Memorandum of Understanding with the Digital Industries Advisory Council.
- Continuing input and discussions with Stephen Conroy, Federal Minister for Broadband Communications and the Digital Economy, regarding the NBN project.
Objective 2: Facilitate an Active Policy Forum
- TASICT hosted Opposition Spokesperson for Broadband and Communications, Malcolm Turnbull at a business lunch in April 2013.
- TASICT is engaged with the Tasmanian radio, TV, print and electronic media and regularly contributes to the public debate on ICT issues.
- TASCIT has developed public policy positions on government representation, skills development, government procurement and the NBN project to stimulate debate in advance of the upcoming state election.
Objective 3: Create Channels of Communication
- Collating and distributing regular electronic bulletins on industry news and events
- Delivering the first of three annual ICT Industry Sector Assessment reports
- Organising and facilitating links between the ICT industry and the State Government, UTAS, Education Department, CSIRO, TECC, Digital Industries Advisory Council, TCCI
- Increasing TASICT’s membership by over 60% in one year
Objective 4: Provide Networking Opportunities
TASICT continues to create opportunities for the Tasmanian ICT Industry to gather, socialise, and discuss issues of importance throughout the year. Events from this past year include:
- November 2008: Tasmanian ICT Industry Awards Dinner attended by Premier David Bartlett and over 300 TASICT members and guests.
- February 2009: Presentation of the 2008 ICT Industry Assessment Report by Treasurer Michael Aird.
- March 2009: TASICT presented the Marketing & Media Management Workshop
- April 2009: TASICT attended in force at the ACCI/TCCI Malcolm Turnbull dinner
- May 2009: TASICT Industry and Educators Panel Forum, featuring UTAS, Skills Institute, Polytechnic, Skills Tasmania, and NDA all together for the first time.
- June 2009: TASICT and IBM Innovations Breakfast Forum
- July 2009: Launch of TASICT Policy Statements and presentation from Michael Field, chairman of the Tasmanian Innovations Board
- September 2012: TASICT Industry Awards Dinner
- April 2013: Malcolm Turnbull business lunch.
- June 2013: Annual TASICT Conference
- November 2013: TASICT Industry Awards Dinner with Premier Giddings, Ministers O'Byrne and Ferguson and Shadow Minister Ferguson.
Objective 5: Recognise and Celebrate Success
TASICT hosted the 2013 Tasmanian ICT Industry Awards and celebrated the success of Tasmanian ICT businesses with over 250 TASICT members and guests.